October 10 – October 12, 2017
MoBE Agenda: [MoBE_2017_Agenda]
MoBE Poster Abstracts [PDF]
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine are co-hosting MoBE 2017 (Microbiology of the Built Environment Research and Applications Symposium) at the National Academy of Sciences Building (2101 Constitution Ave., N.W., Washington, DC). MoBE 2017 is sponsored by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, Zymo Research Corporation, NASA Ames Research Center, the U.S. Green Building Council and BioMed Central’s Microbiome Journal and Standards In Genomic Sciences Journal.
MoBE 2017 will highlight recent MoBE research, to explore emerging issues towards development of solutions-based approaches for bridging the gaps between research and applications.
The goal of the MoBE 2017 Symposium is to present the current state-of-the-science in understanding the formation and function of microbial communities in built environments, their impacts on human health, and how human occupants shape complex indoor microbiomes in relation to human exposure. The MoBE 2017 Symposium will bring together leading researchers and stakeholders to discuss MoBE findings pertinent to human health, safe drinking water, healthy built environments and urban design.
Join us as we explore current findings and discuss the exciting future of the MoBE research field pertinent to microbiology, infrastructure, building science, architectural design, engineering and city planning, policy, standards and technology development.
Registration: is closed (as of September 1st, 2017)
MoBE 2017 Special Issue of BioMed Central’s Microbiome Journal
Agenda (confirmed speakers)
Tuesday October 10th
Keynote: Ed Yong (The Atlantic)
Kick-off reception (5-7 pm)
Wednesday October 11th
Keynote: Susan Lynch (University of California San Francisco)
- MoBE Science Here and Now
- Jonathan Eisen, Jessica Green, Lisa Brenner
- Implications of MoBE for Health and Design
- (session chair: Elaine Hubal)
- Karen Dannemiller, Mark Mendell, Shelly Miller, Rachel Adams
- Public Health and Indoor Microbial Communities
- (session chair: Diane Gold)
- Maria Gloria Dominguez-Bello, Brandon Bubba Brooks, Jane Carlton
- MoBE Insights on Microbial Exposure
- (session chair: Tina Bahadori)
- Eric Alm, Emmanuel Mongodin, David Mills
- Panel Discussion: Myth and Reality of MoBE Manipulation
- Moderator: Rob Knight
- Panelists: Rita Colwell, Jessica Green, Jeffrey Siegel, Ilana Brito
Thursday October 12th
Keynote: Marc Edwards (Virginia Tech)
- From MoBE Research to MoBE Applications
- (session chair: Scott Kelley)
- Jack Gilbert, Richard Shaughnessy, Anders Benteson Nygaard
- The Building Science – MoBE Nexus
- (session chair: Rich Corsi)
- Rich Corsi, Amy Pruden, Betsy Pugel, Kent Duffy, Wendy Goodson
- NAS Microbiomes of the Built Environment Consensus Study
- (session chair: Katherine Bowman)
- Joan Bennett
- Panel Discussion: Charting MoBE Research Priorities
- Moderator: Jonathan Eisen
- Panelists: Jordan Peccia, Norman Pace, Claire Fraser
For further information or questions about accessibility or to request accommodations
please contact MoBE 2017 Chair, Lynn M. Schriml at 410-706-6776 or using the form below.
Requests should be made at least two weeks prior to the event.